Branding

Discussion in 'Help & Feedback' started by dev, Sep 10, 2013.

1. dev

dev Well-Known Member Staff Member SuperOP Duke

This should be something fun for everyone to participate in.

Barons of Bullshit needs improvement in the branding department to help make us more distinguished and to refine our identity on the internet, as a whole - not just as a Minecraft server. Even though we're not some big business, I don't think it would hurt to try to improve our visual image.

Name
    Our name is great. It definitely stands out - that's one of the reasons I found this crazy place.
    It can also be initialed as BoB, which makes people think of the name "Bob".

Unless we're looking at expanding to something greater that encompasses the Barons of Bullshit, then I think we're good with our current name.

Tagline/Catchphrase
    Do we have one? Could we use one? Verizon's catchphrase is "can you hear me now?", for example.

"Barons of Bullshit"
    "some catchphrase"​

Logo/Logotype
    A visual trademark that can represent us. This is essential.
    A logo is usually just a graphic image, and a logotype is stylized text (as in, more than just Comic Sans font type with italics)

It needs to be simple, but also memorable; something unique that people are going to immediately associate to us. It could have letters in it, similar to the logo for the HP computer company, or it could be any other graphic design.

It also needs to be scalable, so it can be used in different sizes. 16 pixels, 32 px, 256 px, etc.

Graphics
    Distinct graphic images that also represent us.
    We don't need this as much as the logo, but it would help.

Color
    A color scheme can make a big difference in branding.

"When it comes to choosing the right color scheme, intentionality and simplicity should be your driving factors. Typically, two to three colors is all you'll need in an effective design. Once you have your base color scheme in place, pick a bold accent color to use for your primary calls to action throughout your site."

"Designers frequently use the 60-30-10 rule, which suggests that you choose three different colors and use them in the ratio of 60%, 30% and 10%."

Resources:
    http://mashable.com/2013/06/09/color-schemes-business/
    http://www.colourlovers.com/
    https://kuler.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/
    http://colorschemedesigner.com/
  2. wingdude100

wingdude100 Bow Hunter Baron

Good idea.

The color scheme could be Black, Red, and green. Green is the contrast of Red, and Black is just a cool color. Possibly in place of black could be a Navy Blue.
  3. Sideways02

Sideways02 Well-Known Member Staff Member SuperOP Duke VIP

"Fuck your shit, We're Barons of Bullshit"

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. seriosbrad

seriosbrad seriosbrad.ca Staff Member SuperOP Server Owner

Improving on some things would be cool, but I'm in no rush since I'm not trying to target a huge audience. I already made a big step into separating Barons of Bullshit (in general) from Minecraft and created Barons of Minecraft(.com), which will be the all-ages server. Barons of Bullshit will now have the ability to be a community for all sorts of games.

Our server MOTD has always been "Welcome to Hell." This would probably be considered our current catch phrase, pretty generic and should be changed. "Fuck your shit" has also been around for a while, never officially though.
  5. dev

The reason I brought up the idea was because it'd be nice to have some official branding to put on the this site and the Gmod webpage/server to connect things together.

Just a logo would be a good start. Something that could be placed in the header of the page and used as a favicon. It would be better than the minecraft Steve face we've been using.
  6. Sideways02

Make us a logo dev. Stylize "BoB" or something

7. Sideways02

Or how about we expand on the "four 'horsemen' of barons" - Brad, Me, dev and a fourth admin.. take our skin faces, take a corner of each and combine them into one head image.

8. dev

lol, I'm not sure how well our pixel faces would fit together. We would each get something like a 4x4 pixel area :p
    The "forth horseman" was Cheeseman, since he was one of the first four admins here. It would seem wrong to replace him as a "horseman" with someone else. The whole four horsemen thing isn't really widely known, anyway.

I'm still brainstorming logos and logotypes. I'll probably be the one to make the graphic design of the image, so let me know if you have any suggestions.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  9. Sideways02

Oh yes cheeseman

10. Charlie

Charlie Administrator Staff Member SuperOP Duke VIP

i cant believe this never happened
  11. Sideways02

Yeah, I know. Barons of Minecraft exists no longer.

The horsemen of barons though.. cmon

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
  12. dev

The branding in general, or the four horsemen thing?
  13. Charlie

The branding in general

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
  14. dev

We don't really need a catchphrase, now that I think about it. They're kind of corny for a gaming community.

We don't have a logo, per-se, that can be easily resized, but we do have a catchy graphic - the planet image that floats on the home page.

Color scheme seems to have become black, white, and blue.
  15. wingdude100

wingdude100 Bow Hunter Baron

But black white and blue is too plain D:
  16. Charlie

red white and blue nao. murica'.